A stomach ulcer, also known as gastric ulcer, is a lesion or sore that normally develops in the inner lining of the stomach. It can as well occur in the upper part of the intestine (duodenum).
About four million people have stomach ulcers, and one in every ten people suffer from an ulcer at least once in their lifetime; According to the American Gastroenterological Association.
Gastric ulcer normally occurs when the lining of the stomach or upper small intestine gets irritated by the effects of stomach acid.
Other factors like excessive use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), infection with the bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), radiation therapy, drinking excessive alcohol, poor dieting, burns and physical injury.
The most outstanding symptom of a stomach ulcer is a burning sensation or pain in your abdomen.
You might notice this pain a few minutes to several hours, depending on the severity of the ulcers.
You might also experience symptoms such as heartburn, bloating, excessive belching, nausea, indigestion, vomiting and weight loss.
A stomach ulcer can affect people of any age. If left untreated, ulcer might get worse and result in bleeding or even a hole in the stomach.
Fortunately, there are several natural remedies to get rid of stomach ulcer. These home remedies protect and strengthen the stomach lining against stomach acids.
However, it is advisable to consult your doctor to ensure long-term relief.
This article highlights the eight most effective home remedies to get rid of stomach ulcer.
Banana could be all you need to get rid of stomach ulcer. Both ripe and unripe bananas can be very effective in treating an ulcer.
Research shows that they are certain antibacterial in bananas that inhibit the growth of ulcer-causing H. pylori.
What’s more, bananas neutralize the acidity of the gastric juice. This aids in protecting and strengthening the stomach lining.
- To treat an ulcer, start with at least three ripe bananas a day.
- Alternatively, Make banana powder by peeling two or three bananas and cut them into tiny slices.
- Sundry the slices and grind them into a fine powder. Make a mixture of two tablespoons of this banana powder and a teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture thrice daily for about a week.
2. Cayenne Pepper
It might be quite surprising to learn that cayenne pepper is a potent cure for a stomach ulcer.
According to a scientific study published in FEMS shows that the active compound of cayenne pepper, capsaicin inhibits the growth of H. pylori the most common cause of stomach ulcer.
Another review published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition shows that capsaicin inhibits the secretion of gastric acids, stimulates mucus secretions and gastric mucosal blood flow, boosts the production of alkali, thereby preventing and curing ulcers.
- Add a one-eight teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a glass of warm water. Drink this mixture twice daily for two to three days. Gradually, up the amount of cayenne pepper to one-quarter teaspoon twice daily for a week.
- Alternatively, you can buy cayenne capsules at health food stores and take them. Take three capsules daily immediately after meals for at least a week.
- Also, you can conveniently, add pinches of cayenne pepper to soups, meats, and other dishes.
Cabbage is one of the most effective remedies for peptic ulcer. Being rich in lactic acid, cabbage stimulates the production of amino acid that promotes blood flow to the stomach lining.
This subsequently helps in strengthening the stomach lining and promotes fast recovery from a stomach ulcer.
- Cut one-half of a cabbage and two carrots into tiny pieces and blend them to extract the juice.
- Drink half cup of this juice before your meal and before bedtime.
- Repeat this for a few weeks but with fresh juice each time.
Raw Honey can be used to get rid of stomach ulcers.
Honey contains an enzyme called glucose oxidase which produces hydrogen peroxide, which in turn kills harmful bacteria that causes ulcers.
What’s more, honey helps soothe and reduces the inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Take two tablespoons of raw honey every day, early in the morning on an empty stomach.
This will help cleanse your bowel, strengthen the stomach lining and prevent and treat stomach ulcers,
Garlic is a very popular spice that you can conveniently use to treat stomach ulcer.
Research study shows that the antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of garlic can help checkmate the levels of H. pylori the most common cause of stomach ulcer
- Chew two to three crushed garlic cloves followed by a glass of water during the day. Repeat this on a daily basis to reduce inflammation in the stomach and prevent stomach ulcers.
Coconut and its produce (water, oil, and milk) can be used to cure stomach ulcer due to its antibacterial properties.
It helps destroy ulcer-causing bacteria. Moreover, coconut water and coconut milk have their unique anti-ulcer qualities.
- Take a few cups of tender coconut water or fresh coconut milk daily. Also, you can eat the kernel of the tender coconut. For a positive result, repeat this remedy for at least a week.
- Another option, you can take one tablespoon of coconut oil in the morning and at night for a week.
It is surprising to know that fenugreek has powerful healing properties and health benefits.
Very importantly, you can use it to treat peptic ulcer. Fenugreek is rich in a mucilaginous compound, which protects the stomach’s lining by coating it like mucus, thereby enhancing the healing process.
- Boil a teaspoon of fenugreek seed in two cups of water. Strain and add honey to it before drinking.
- Also, you can consume one teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder along with milk.
- Or, you can boil one cup of fenugreek leaves, add a teaspoon of honey and eat it twice daily.
You can follow any of these remedies twice daily for at least a week.
Licorice can also be used to treat stomach ulcer.
Studies reveal that licorice works effectively for treatment and prevention of stomach ulcers.
It aids the stomach and intestine in producing more protective mucus that forms a protective barrier over the stomach lining. Thus easing the pain from ulcers and speeding up the healing process.
- Mix half teaspoon of licorice root powder in a glass of water. Cover it tightly and let it sit for a night. In the morning, add one cup of cooked broken white rice into it and eat it. Repeat this for a week o get positive results.
- Alternatively, drink licorice tea two to three times a day for one week.
If your condition is mild to moderate, these natural remedies will give you a positive result within a week. However, if you are suffering from an acute stomach ulcer, please consult your doctor for proper examination.